Clean Tech Advance Grant
In September 2011, The Portland region received a $2.2 million dollar award under the federal Jobs and Innovation Accelerator Challenge grant opportunity. The project, referred to locally as Clean Tech Advance, is a bi-state partnership of more than 20 organizations under the leadership of Greater Portland, Inc to support innovation and job creation in the Clean Tech and Advanced Manufacturing Industry Clusters.
Why the Portland Region?
- 31,000 clean tech jobs as of 2009. Industry cluster rapidly growing.
- International reputation in sustainability and clean tech; regional and municipal-level activity.
- Oregon second nationally in clean energy technology, policy and investment.
- $202M in venture capital invested in Oregon in clean tech in 2010, up from $3M in 2009.
- Educated population, attractive lifestyle, strong entrepreneurial and small business climate.
- Pacific Rim location with enviable transportation infrastructure, export advantage.
Why this Grant?
- Unites 1) clean tech, 2) research and commercialization and 3) advanced manufacturing opportunities.
- Anchors businesses – particularly micro-, small-, and medium-sized business at the center of training commercialization opportunities.
- Unifies the five-county region –a model for future initiatives.
- Creates stronger tie between higher education and economic development.
- Provides resources for a coordinated, strategic approach to clean tech commercialization to manufacturing.